Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Discovering love and purpose

Accepting myself unconditionally--my strengths and weaknesses--has opened up a whole new world for me because on the tail of unconditional acceptance came confidence and purpose.

I am not a psychologist neither am I a sociologist--I did not study human behavior but my observations are a result of my life journey. I am 46 years old and spent my adult years in search of answers to my perennial question: who Am I? Why was I born? Why did God put me on earth when, to my view, I had nothing to contribute. I hated myself and could not accept the talents and strengths that were given to me. I was always looking towards others for answers and got frustrated when all I received were the comments I was not looking for. These comments reinforced my already negative view of myself--I had no talent because I could not draw, I could not visualize. I hated myself because I was uncomfortable being an extrovert. I so badly wanted to be one because that is what I got growing up.

This view I had of myself frustrated those around me because they saw great potential in me but until I saw it and recognized it myself, nothing would come out of my life. And nothing did. I wallowed in mediocrity--doing things to get by and doing my best not to be noticed. In my life, I contributed little to conversation with others. I hid by playing with kids because I could just play with them and they always accepted me into their circle. I put up with shabby treatment because I did not want to cause a commotion. In other words, my self-esteem and self-love were nowhere to be found.

Recent events in my life (in previous entries) has given me acceptance, confidence--a voice and courage to approach people--I asked two of the Azkals players for an autograph and photo--this would never have happened and was unthinkable.

Finally, revealed a purpose--to talk about the importance of unconditional love and acceptance of the self and of others. This blog is a start. I am willing to use other platforms--that is how strongly it has made an impact in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment